Thursday 16 October 2014

Just For Today: The weight loss side affects they don't tell you about.

"I just wanted to go back to the same optimistic feeling that I had when I thought that thinness was the answer"





She says everything I have ever felt about weight loss in a far more eloquent, poignant way than I ever could. I first 'met' Andie about two years ago when I stumbled across her blog during the early days of my weight loss. For anyone who was there, is there and is on the way to being there watch this; listen to this. I've listened to it four times already and it hits home every time. For a long time, every time I gained weight again I felt like I'd failed myself, I felt like I was a fake having an instagram account about being fit. I felt like I was 109kg again. Out of control. Angry. Worthless. The day I realised that losing weight wasn't a beginning (fat and sad) and end (skinny and happy) process, that it would be a life-long struggle against my own body, was one of the darkest times of my life.

But you get better. You get better at not binging and wanting to purge. You learn that mistakes are as par for the course as triumphs. You learn that falling makes it easier to get up; it makes you stronger. You learn, most importantly, to take it day by day. If I were the wake-up-in-the-morning-and-say-a-matra-in-the-mirror type girl mine would undoubtedly be: "Your body does not define your worth as a human being. You do not lack value because you are not perfect. You are stronger, wiser and more driven than ever. You are fine."

Did this video touch anyone else? It's one of the things I wished 'they' had told me when I started losing weight for a long time but in hindsight I think it's the most important part of the journey: once it settles into your bones it's what will stop you from giving up every single time.

No comments:

Post a Comment